THE WORLD’S 50 BEST BARS LAUNCHES GLOBAL FUNDRAISING AUCTION FEATURING BESPOKE EXPERIENCES WITH THE WORLD’S TOP BARTENDERS AND DRINKS BRANDS
(June 24, 2020) The organisation behind The World’s 50 Best Bars today announces that its ‘Bid for Recovery’ Auction will debut on 3 July, offering bar, restaurant and travel enthusiasts the opportunity to bid for out-of-this-world experiences with the world’s best bartenders. The first-ever global gastronomic auction on this scale, incredible lots have been donated by the bartenders from the recent World’s 50 Best Bars lists, as well as some stellar experiences from 50 Best partner brands.
The 50 Best ‘Bid for Recovery’ Auction is the largest global event of its kind aiming to raise funds that will provide direct and tangible financial relief for bars worldwide as they emerge from the Covid-19 pandemic. The auction is a key fund-raising element of the 50 Best for Recovery programme, announced last month, in partnership with founding donor Perrier.
The 50 Best ‘Bid for Recovery’ Auction will feature more than 130 lots, providing the opportunity for bidders to select from an array of the most extraordinary global gastronomic experiences imaginable, as well as rare and limited-edition items. Some of the bespoke auction lot highlights include:
Perrier, Paris, France
TWO NIGHTS IN PARIS AND COURTSIDE SEATS AT THE FRENCH OPEN LADIES’ FINAL 2021
Founding donor Perrier will provide two people with courtside seats at the Women’s Final of the French Open 2021 at Roland Garros, Paris. After the trophies are presented, a chauffeur will transport the winning bidders to check in at the five-star hotel George V for two nights. Enjoy world-renowned gastronomic experiences at Le Cinq and Le George for memorable dinners, as well as a fragrance workshop at one of the city’s leading perfumeries.
Dante, New York, USA
THREE NIGHTS BAR-HOPPING IN NEW YORK WITH THE WORLD’S BEST BAR
Dante owner Linden Pride will introduce bidders to his favourite NYC hotspots and hangouts on a bar crawl that might just last three days. The experience for two people will also include three nights’ accommodation in a modish New York design hotel, as well as dinner and drinks at both outposts of Dante on two different nights. A bespoke Negroni kit will be waiting in the room to get the party started.
Lyaness, London, UK
A TIME CAPSULE COCKTAIL TO DEFINE YOUR LIFE FROM MR LYAN
Mr Lyan, Ryan Chetiyawardana, the mixologist behind Dandelyan, The World’s Best Bar 2018, is donating one of his groundbreaking Time Capsule experiences. Scouring the globe, forging relationships with the world’s leading craftspeople and sifting through ancient cellars, he’s been able to accrue some of history’s finest and most enviable bottles. This Scarab Time Capsule experience involves a consultation and tasting of these spirits with Chetiyawardana, before he distils your life into drinkable form and presents you with a bespoke bottled cocktail, hand-labelled and sealed.
Michter’s, Kentucky, USA
A PRIVATE BARREL SELECTION BOTTLING OF MICHTER’S 10 YEAR BOURBON
This is an extraordinary and unique opportunity for a discerning spirits enthusiast to acquire their own private barrel bottling of Michter's 10 Year Kentucky Straight Bourbon. Yielding in the region of 120 bottles, this is the first time ever that Michter’s has offered the opportunity to select a private barrel bottling of its acclaimed 10 Year Bourbon.
Additional drinks-based auction lots include:
• Three-night eco-hotel package in the Caribbean with Matusalem, Dominican Republic
• A mezcal masterclass for eight people with Jay Khan of Coa, Hong Kong
• Three nights in a suite at Four Seasons Seoul and a bar shift at Charles H, South Korea
• Hokkaido tour and blending your own bottle with Nikka Whisky’s Chief Blender, Japan
• A week exploring Sydney with Matt Whiley of Scout, staying on Bondi Beach, Australia
• Manhattan Experience, (pictured above) barrelling a cocktail and three nights in hotel suite, Singapore
• A journey from north to south of Italy in five-star luxury with Disaronno, Italy
• Mexico City immersion with Fifty Mils and Four Seasons for three nights, Mexico
• Tour the best bars in HK with London Essence staying in five-star luxury, Hong Kong
• VIP red carpet weekend at Cannes Film Festival with Rémy Martin, France
• Explore the historic heart of Milan with a Campari cocktail experience, Italy
• Two nights in Rosewood HK with Mancino Vermouth and DarkSide Bar, Hong Kong
• A five-star Mexico City stay with Altos, with dinner at Pujol and bar hopping, Mexico
• Plus, rare bottles of spirits, private cocktail and cooking classes, wine region tours, sailing trips, exclusive tastings and bespoke parties all available
These bar-focused auction lots will join those donated by restaurants, which feature experiences such as 48 hours with 50 Best chefs exploring their neighbourhoods, exclusive personalised dining experiences, one-of-a-kind items and unique gastronomic adventures.
The auction will be conducted online at www.50BestForRecovery.com. Potential bidders can view the full selection of lots from 29 June, with the auction opening on 3 July and running until 12 July.
In order to contribute to the global recovery of the hospitality industry, 50 Best will distribute all proceeds of the Recovery Fund to restaurants, bars and non-profit organisations supporting the sector in the following ways:
• Direct grants: 50 Best will make direct contributions to bars and restaurants with grants of up to US $5,000 per establishment. Applications will be open to independent restaurants and bars from any country in July, according to a number of criteria to be published in the coming weeks. 50 Best is committed to ensuring that the funds are distributed to businesses led by individuals from a diverse range of backgrounds.
• Non-profit organisations: 50 Best will make additional donations to a number of charitable organisations that it has identified as supporting restaurants and their staff, as well as feeding those most in need. These include: the newly founded Singapore Cocktail Bar Association; Lee Initiative’s Restaurant Reboot Relief Program and Black Urban Growers, both in the US; Nosso Prato in Brazil; the Eat Out Restaurant Relief Fund in South Africa; the National Restaurant Association of India’s Feed the Needy campaign; Horeca Next in Belgium; Italy’s Ambasciatori del Gusto; and Chefs for Spain, the Spanish arm of World Central Kitchen.
· 1 million meals: 50 Best will also join forces with Social Gastronomy Movement, a global network of organisations across 38 different countries, in its Food Solidarity Fund intending to provide 1 million meals to those most in need.
Mark Sansom, Content Editor for The World’s 50 Best Bars, says: “As soon as we started reaching out to bartenders and brands and challenged them to create amazing experiences to donate for the 50 Best ‘Bid for Recovery’ Auction, the response was unbelievable. From 3 July, anyone with a love for fine drinks and food will have the opportunity to bid on a host of lots that are truly once-in-a-lifetime experiences. We have been overwhelmed by the generosity of these bars and brands, as we aim to raise as much money as possible to support our industry and give back to the global bar sector.
“Putting this auction together has further highlighted the solidarity of the international bar family. Now we ask all those who love bars and are blessed with sufficient resources to take part in the auction and, crucially, spread the word to friends and peers across the world.”
50 Best for Recovery will also see the publication of an e-cookbook entitled Home Comforts: simple lockdown recipes from the world’s best chefs and bartenders, which will be unveiled to the public for download on 1 July in exchange for a $10 minimum donation. Money raised from the e-cookbook will also go direct into the 50 Best Recovery Fund and used to support the global hospitality sector.
The 50 Best team continues to offer its heartfelt support to all those businesses and individuals suffering from the effects of the global pandemic. The organisation is hugely grateful to all those in the hospitality world who are dedicating their time and skill to help others, as well as to its partners. 50 Best is committed to using its platform to help fight for equality and inclusivity in the hospitality sector. The Black community has been hit disproportionately hard by coronavirus. This fact has and will continue to help shape the distribution of funds in the 50 Best for Recovery campaign.
All details of the auction will be available on the 50 Best for Recovery webpage, as well as via Instagram @50bestbars and Facebook @50BestBars.
11:45 AM, 25 Jan, 2021
11:35 AM, 25 Jan, 2021
12:12 PM, 22 Jan, 2021