A Close-up Look at Jewel Changi Airport’s Façade Installation
iconic glass and steel façade in the final stage of completion
Photos Courtesy Jewel Changi Airport Devt
SINGAPORE , 18 April 2018 – Visitors travelling along Airport Boulevard will notice the gradual formation of Jewel Changi Airport’s (Jewel) iconic infrastructure as work on its distinctive glass and steel façade enters the last lap towards completion. The entire Jewel facade is made up of more than 9,000 pieces of specially manufactured glass,close to 18,000 pieces of steel beams and over 6,000 steel nodes. The complexity of the façade installation is due in part to the sheer number of components, as well as the custom-made glass panels and steel nodes, with no single piece having the same dimensions and specifications. The entire façade will weigh more than 6,000 tonnes.
Given the unique measurements of each glass panel, the installation process warrants precise coordination to ensure that each panel is fitted into the correct ‘grid’ placement that it is planned for. Meticulous execution is also required as the glass panels are transported from the ground level to the top of the façade for the roof installation. Please refer to the Annex for more information about the façade installation.
To date, 75% of the overall construction has been completed and Jewel is on-track to open in 2019.
Step 1 - Inspection of glass panel
Step 2 - Hydraulic pump is installed and safety belts are fastened around the panel
Step 3 - Scanning of QR code prior to hoistingStep 4 - The panel is lifted 45m above ground for installationStep 5 - 'Spidermen' receiving the glass panel for installationStep 6 - Securing the panel into the 'correct' grid
About Jewel Changi Airport Trustee
Jewel Changi Airport (Jewel) is a joint venture between Changi Airport Group (CAG), manager of Singapore Changi Airport , and CapitaLand, one of Asia’s largest real estate companies. The Jewel complex is currently being constructed and is expected to open in 2019. Located in front of Changi Airport’s Terminal 1, Jewel will be a world-class lifestyle destination in Singapore , enhancing Changi’s appeal as a premier air hub.
Designed by world renowned architect Moshe Safdie, Jewel will feature a distinctive dome-shaped facade made of glass and steel, making it an iconic landmark in the airport’s landscape. At approximately 134,000 sqm in size, it will offer a range of facilities including airport services, indoor gardens and leisure attractions, retail and dining offerings as well as a hotel, all under one roof.
Jewel Changi Airport is owned by Jewel Changi Airport Trust (Trust). Jewel Changi Airport Trustee Pte. Ltd. is the trustee-manager of the Trust, while Jewel Changi Airport Devt Pte. Ltd. is the development and property manager of Jewel. CAG is the majority 51% unitholder and shareholder of the Trust and the two joint venture companies, while CapitaLand owns the remaining 49%.
07:54 AM, 19 Nov, 2019
07:53 AM, 13 Nov, 2019
06:01 AM, 29 Oct, 2019